Saturday, January 31, 2009

I Want a Gun!

A scanning gun, that is. Yesterday, Fiance and I decided to tackle one of our gift registries. We're currently debating on whether to have two registries or three; we have such a small guest list that three seems really unnecessary. At any rate, we knew that no matter how many places we registered at, Bed, Bath and Beyond was going to be on the list. (If you're interested the other one or two will be from the following list: Macy's, Crate and Barrel, or Target.)














Anyway, Fiance was super excited about the prospect of running through the store with a scanning gun. As we drove to Bed, Bath and Beyond, he joked about registering for the most ridiculous items whenever I turned my back -- like an Elvis clock or a duck shaped gravy boat. Sadly, when we got to the store and headed for their gift registry desk, we were not handed a gun, but instead were made to fill out forms and were handed three huge binders of china and crystal stemware. Not only is this not a fun way to shop (at least not for me!), but we weren't even planning on registering for fine china or crystal anything. For one, I'm a klutz and broke three glasses in about a month this past summer. On top of that, these items are way over the price range of gifts we wanted to register for.
The worst part was receiving the tough sale from their registry assistant. We did decline the fine china and crystal, but in a very cowardly way. "I'd like to see some of the every day plates out on the floor before making my decision," I told him after he pressured me into registering for the set I'd mistakenly admitted "looked nice."

I thought that the registry assistant would then turn over the gun to us and let us loose. Nope. Turns out, he was going to hold onto the gun and walk us through each section and give us a sales pitch about everything. Not only that, but he tried to talk us into registering for the more expensive item every time. Now, I understand it's his job to boost sales and all that, but I found it extremely annoying. He even registered us for a saucepan that cost $150! For one saucepan! He tried to pressure us into registering for items that Fiance and I firmly told him we did not need because we already had. And then he tried to get us to register for the most random items -- like corkscrews (we have four sets already, three of them Christmas gifts to us this year!), paper towel holders (if I wanted that, I would've bought one for myself by now), and other gadgetry that would never see the light of day after being pushed to the back of a cabinet in our kitchen.

Now, neither Fiance and I are that great at saying "no" to people. So we did let him add a few extra items/more expensive items to our registry. We knew, though, that as soon as we got home, we'd log on to the website and delete them from our list. We also knew that we were going to add some other items because we simply didn't want to mention the possibility of getting a waffle iron in front of him lest he launch into yet another sales pitch.

On our way home, we stopped in at Target to pick up a few essentials. Well, actually, we went in hoping to find a microwave on sale (can you believe that we've lasted six months without a microwave now?), but the one we wanted was sold out. We checked out their registry department which is better than Bed, Bath and Beyond's in that they don't follow you around the store giving you a sale pitch. However, they also do not give you a scanning gun. Instead, you're supposed to load up your cart with items you want and then bring them down to the registry kiosk and scan them all yourself there. That doesn't seem very efficient or fun to me! We want a registry gun that we can operate ourselves!

Does anyone know if Macy's or Crate and Barrel operate by giving the wedding couple a gun and letting them go at it? Or do they all operate more like Bed, Bath and Beyond? I promised Fiance a day of running through a store tagging items and I do not want to let him down . . .

No comments: