Thursday, January 8, 2009

A Vintage Wedding

Throughout our wedding planning, I've been obssessed with a number of wedding blogs. Weddingbee is the one I'm most obssessed with, most likely because each time I visit the site (multiple times a day!) there are new posts. I've gotten tons of good advice from budgeting to DIY crafts to etiquette. But the one thing I noticed was most wedding bloggers reference their wedding theme a lot. From a science lab themed wedding featuring test tubes, flasks and beakers to damask weddings to the french inspired and even polka dot type affairs, everyone seems to have a theme.

Looking at the countdown calendar ripped out of the last issue of Brides magazine, it seems that my fiance and I should've decided our theme . . . four months ago?! About a month ago, I said "forget it, I'm not buying into some stupid wedding industry need for a theme!" But secretly I wished we had one partly for the cohesive effect it gives and partly for ease of figuring out the decorations and such. Honestly, I didn't think my fiance would go for a theme because I knew he would picture it going to an extreme -- like a costume level that would be too kitschy for our tastes. I'd hinted at a couple themes. I suggested an international travel inspired wedding because we'd spent a year together in Europe and did a lot of travelling -- one of our favorite hobbies -- as well as a San Francisco themed affair because about 90% of our guests are coming from out of town. Nothing seemed to catch his interest and I didn't push it.

Last Sunday, I went to Michael's to pick up some supplies for this weekend's upcoming DIY craft party. I ended up with a cartful of twenty flower stems in champagne and a greyish blue (bridesmaids dresses are pewter and a tealish/bluish color that I will post later) and had a real vintage/antique-y quality to them. I showed them off to my fiance when I got home and said, "these are perfect! And they go well with my dress too which has a vintage kind of look to it!"


Hours later while surfing the internet and stumbling upon vintage glam, I was in love. "Honey," I started, ready to plead. "What do you think of a vintage-y wedding?" To my shock and happiness instead of the usual non-responsiveness he greeted my previous themes with, he nodded enthusiastically. "Sounds great," he told me.
source

"Really??" I asked excitedly. "Because I think it would totally work! The flowers are sort of vintage-y and my dress too! Oh, and that pearl bracelet that I'm planning on wearing? And I wanted a birdcage veil! And our reception site is that cool old, abandoned firehouse!" I continued rambling for a good two minutes, excited that without even meaning to, all our wedding plans (with the small exception, perhaps, of the bridesmaid dresses) fit perfectly into a vintage chic/vintage glam/vintage inspired wedding.

So now we have a theme! We haven't really picked a particular era, but are generally inspired by the 1930s and 1940s.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Where did you end up hosting your reception? Is it the firehouse that's at the Presidio or s different firehouse? Also, what's the company that you used to rent the chairs for your reception? I'm also thinking of doing a wedding at Chrissy Field (oct 2012) and my budget is the same (10k). Would love to see your pics from the wedding ceremony and reception. Also, curious to know if you were able to find a photographer for a reasonable price. Thanks!! -Nat